Better to be a fool than a selfish person

By the auditor
A stranger came up to me with a big smile and a file in hand.

I thought to myself..."Oh god, not another salesman"

"Hi, im _______. I'm from the _________ Association. Would you like to donate?" he said, with a smile still etched on his face.

and I thought to myself..."Charity ar...dunno real or not...dunno whether he photoshopped the certificate"

Yep, I'm one of those skeptical people.

The past few days has been an eye-opener for me as I got a chance to be the "salesman/charity person".



The other day, Phillip and I went around with a donation box asking for donations, not from HELP students but from working people nearby. Let's just say I know how it feels like to be ignored and let's just say it's not a nice feeling. In fact, it's a tulan feeling.


There we were, standing under the hot sun, targetting every group of working people that were approaching. I really appreciate those who at least smiled at us and said no, thank you but some people just walked past us as we were talking as if we're invisible. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they bumped into us and pretended as if nothing happened.

I told myself, "ok next time I will layan those charity people because I know how it feels". But sometimes I don't listen to myself either because just today, another guy came up to me asking for charity and my scepticism overshadowed my little reminder but you know what my friend Xin Ying did? She was like...ok! *hands out money* Here you go! Shame on you li hong! I took so long to think whether I wanna donate or not, whether this charity thing is a scam or not.

This isn't the first time Xin Ying made effort to donate whenever approached. Ohh what a holy friend she is =) I've got a kind-hearted boyfriend too! I remember he once donated and said "Better to be a fool than be a selfish person" Very well said, don't you think?

So from today onwards, I, Sim Li Hong, will make more effort to donate whenever approached. I hope those charity conmen won't read my blog.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Unknown 10:16 AM
    you may donate and make sure they give you a piece of legal document (receipt)

    Thus, u may claim tax exemption. Maybe not you but u still can claim for you papa.


    Andrew
    Tax Trainee at PWC
  2. the auditor 12:28 PM
    oo..maybe that'll be his father's day present. yea good idea, but den some legal charity org don't bring receipt book around...then that's their prob isit? loll my event oso we didnt have receipt bk

Something to say?